i-jic: Definition and Mission
i-jic is the international organisation which represents JIC1 organisations involved in media audience measurement and research or in auditing of media audience measurement.2
The basic functions of i-jic are:
- to promote the idea, creation and development of JIC organisations worldwide
- to assist national JIC organisations
- to advance the research quality of media audience measurement
- to promote the transparency of all fields related to media audience measurement
- to promote the knowledge of best practice in media audience measurement and research in the different national advertising markets
- to become an international information and documentation centre for audience measurement and the auditing of audience measurement
- to promote the knowledge of possible ways of auditing media audience measurement and research in the different national advertising markets
What is a JIC and what does it do ?
- A JIC is a nonprofit-orientated, neutral organisation in which all key players of an advertising market, i.e. normally advertisers, agencies and media owners, are represented.
- JIC involvement in media audience measurement and research may be at two levels:
- A JIC organisation is entrusted with the organisation, realisation, monitoring or publication of media audience measurements which serve the advertising industry as a currency for the buying, selling and planning of advertising space or time.
- The media audience measurement of a JIC must be transparent to stakeholders in the advertising market and must meet accepted quality standards in order to produce valid, reliable and objective results.
- A JIC organisation is entrusted with the auditing of media audience measurements.
- A JIC audit of media audience measurements must be transparent to those being audited as well as to stakeholders in the advertising market, must be neutral and must meet accepted quality standards.
- In both cases, the JIC should be in a position to become fully involved when surveys or audits are being designed and carried out. The JIC is not merely a “consultative group of experts”, but rather an active body whose assessments and recommendations should be taken into consideration to support the ultimate aim of continual improvement.
How is a JIC financed ?
There are as many financial systems as there are JIC organisations. However, as a common rule, all key players of an advertising market should contribute, at least to a certain extent, to the resources of a JIC in order to support its independence and neutrality.
Apart from media audience research or auditing, a JIC may have additional missions, e.g education or training in the field of media research or planning, carrying out non-media research, audit of circulation, or consultancies. It is important that these additional activities also be carried out in an adequate and appropriate manner and do not harm the reputation and credibility of the core business of media audience measurement or auditing.
1 The abbreviation “JIC” stands for “Joint Industry Committee”.
2 The term „media“ comprises all vehicles and channels of communication.
How to become a member?Should you be interrested in becoming a member of i-jic, you would have to verify that your organization meets the JIC requirements:
- interprofessional: grouping media (owners and buyers), agencies (media and advertising agencies), advertisers
- non for pofit
- involved in the media research field.
Then contact us !
We will answer your questions and ask you to fullfil our application questionnaire (available on this link.)